We Like Email; We Send Email; We Want Email. (And There’s a Lot of Spam.)
We know there are a lot of emails sent, opened and lost in the spamiferous ether every day. But just how many emails are sent? What’s the average clickthrough? How many of us open email on a mobile device? The numbers are pretty staggering.
. . .
1. Hotmail , Yahoo Mail and Gmail together account for well over 1 billion users.
2. More than 294 billion emails are sent and received daily.
3. Well over 100 trillion emails are sent per year.
4. 3.5 million emails are sent per second.
5. 90% of the trillions of email messages are spam or viruses.
6. Spam costs businesses over $20 billion in decreased productivity and technology expenses.
7. Retailers send an average of 16 emails per subscriber in “busy” months.
8. Average email campaign volumes increased 20% in 2012 over 2011 levels.
9. 2012 open rates are down 2% from 2011. (Mean: 20.1%)
10. 2012 click through rates are up 1% from 2011. (Mean: 5.2%)
11. 77% of us want to get marketing messages via email; and there’s no close second place.
12. 36% of all emails are opened on a mobile device.
13. In 2011 there were over 400 million people who used smartphones or tablets to access email .
. . .
Sources: Radicati Group, Responsys, Litmus, MarketingProfs, Silverpop, ExactTarget, Email-Marketing-Reports.com, MarketingLand.com, VisibleGains, MobiThinking